Wednesday, April 15, 2009

initial program studies



What I am trying to communicate here is that we should define a set of spatial relationships according the the program type. For example, a 3br unit is most likely going to be occupied by a family, and when we consider the typical family needs lots of space, with safety being a primary concern, they tend to move to cul-de-sac type tract housing in the suburbs. If we recognize this, we can reconfigure the cul-de-sac into a 'spatial cluster' where a few 3br units (each with their own balcony) would be oriented around a larger communal space...and this could be used as a specific program typology within the block...it would be treated as a larger 'voxel' (a la gramazio kohler) So then the whole building, each with a set of unique typologies, is denser at the base, and gradually opens up where there needs to be more open private space


as you can see I reconfigured the revit model around to fit on the site, essentially let's just assume that it, if we do nothing else to it, is 10 stories tall and fills up about 85% of the site...I was surprised to see how much space it actually took up...the more I think about it going down (like Brent suggested) about 3-4 stories and up in places (maybe 10-12 in some places?) could be really nice...

I think the main thing I would like to suggest is that we define a set of rules or conditions on how each programmatic element combines around a private courtyard...

just a few ideas were:
1) cul-de-sac in the sky
2) studio/artist commune- those small afforable 350sf units are scattered in one larger space or share a communal space b/c 350sf is VERY small
3) 1br/studio units closer together as to promote interaction amongst non-family tenants, most likely younger couples/singles

lets just give people what they want- families need space and privacy, young singles want to be 'close to the action' which is closer to each other, the street, where new retail, bars, downtown, etc will be, etc etc

also are we going to include office spaces here? is that what the 'commercial units' are and separate from the retail units?

No comments:

Post a Comment